Monday, October 08, 2007

almond milk!

Since June of this year, I've been making my very own almond milk. It's so very easy, especially if you have a kick-arse blender. I recommend a vita-mix. They are quite pricey but are so damn powerful. I make soups and all sorts of concoctions containing nuts and hard stuff and my blender is always like, "Really? is that all you got?" Seriously. I heart my vita-mix.


Almond Mylk

1 cup raw almonds
4-5 cups of cold, filtered water
2tsp vanilla or almond extract (optional)

(other variations: make chai, or chocolate almond milk, anything you like can be yours!)

You will need a blender and something to filter your milk with (I use a paint strainer bag from home depot, it's re-usable and durable)

*I put the cup of almonds in first, then add about 1 cup of the water(enough to cover almonds) Blend this until creamy(at this point it's almost like almond butter which is also very easy to make)

*Then add another couple cups of water and blend for 20 seconds or so.

*Add some vanilla if you wish and perhaps another cup of water and blend. The water amount really depends on if you want to make creamy milk or not. More water will equal less creamy.

*Line a pitcher with the filter bag and pour the milk in. Most of the milk will go straight through but you will need to do some squeezing to get it all. You will have almond pulp left in the bag. You could save this and use to make a pie crust!

*enjoy on granola, in coffee, whateva you like!

No comments: