Sunday, March 08, 2009

Weekly Inspiration

This past week I've been eating a lot of delicious food, reading, and in general just enjoying the Down Time after 2 months of hell at work. I need to get back to the grind as I have a video due by the end of March for the school I'm working with. Basically, this week I've been tuning in and becoming a sponge so I can soak up as much information as I can. I feel ravenous about learning right now. There is a quote of Henry Miller's that I just thought of
Develop interest in life as you see it; in people, things, literature, music - the world is so rich, simply throbbing with rich treasures, beautiful souls and interesting people. Forget yourself.


So here are a couple videos that I found uber-inspiring this week. Elizabeth Gilbert, the author of Eat,Pray,Love at the latest TED conference which I could've gone to because it was just over in Long Beach but I didn't so I'm stuck watching the videos online which I suppose might be better because it's free. I had put off reading Miss Gilbert's book because I generally shy away from the popular, mainstream top seller thingamajigs but the book was a gift from my mom so I read it. And I loved it. I connected with it on many levels, being a woman who also traveled alone. So the book is good but after watching this TED clip, I find the author to be fascinating.

Elizabeth Gilbert at TED


& John Cage's Water Walk. I found this clip at wish jar


John Cage inspires me. I love how methodically he performs this piece, with stop clock in hand all the while looking dapper in a suit. So classy. Some people in the audience are laughing, I suppose some of it is hilarious, some of it possibly invokes nervous laughter from people not used to experimental sound but I personally found it beautiful and soothing. It makes me want to walk around the kitchen banging and clinking things.

No comments: